CenturyLink is matching donations through their website to the Food Bank of Northeast Louisiana until 10 p.m. Friday, June 15 as part of the CenturyLink Campaign to Fight Hunger.
During the summer months, growing food costs hit low-income families with children hard. During the school year, kids receive breakfast and lunch at their schools. When summer hits, these meals have to be made up for at home, which can often be difficult for some families.
CenturyLink looks to help families bridge the gap with the CenturyLink Campaign to Fight Hunger. Donations made through the CenturyLink website are matched, up to $100,000. In order to make donations, participants follow these five steps:
- Go to the CenturyLink Campaign to Fight Hunger webpage.
- Select or type in the amount you would like to donate.
- Select "Food Bank of Northeast Louisiana" from the list of food banks. (Pro tip: The food banks are listed alphabetically by state.)
- Select your method of payment, either PayPal or credit card.
- Enter your information and click Donate.
"There are ways we can use these funds to be of maximum benefit to the people that we serve," says Sarah Hoffman of the Food Bank of NELA. Through programs such as Feeding America, the food bank is able to make 50 meals out of as little as $10. According to Hoffman, donating cash or time is often beneficial than donating food. The Food Bank of Northeast Louisiana accepts volunteers willing to box or sort food and help with senior distribution.