Fire Marshals Believe Cell Phone Caused Fire That Injured Child

May 4, 2018

The State Fire Marshal’s office believes a cell phone is responsible for a fire that injured a one-year-old child in Jeanerette. Spokesperson Ashley Rodrigue says a 14-year-old resident told detectives he was sleeping in a room with his little sister, when he awoke to use the bathroom, he smelled smoke and saw the mattress on fire.

 

The toddler suffered second-degree burns to her head, arms and legs. She was taken to Galveston, Texas hospital for treatment. Rodrigue says electronic devices should always be properly ventilated when they are being charged.

 

Detectives learned it was an I Phone 6 that caught fire. Rodrigue says an electrical malfunction can happen when a cell phone is charging, if it’s not properly ventilated.