Monroe Mayor Jamie Mayo has named Major Eugene Ellis to the position of police chief. Ellis is a 31-year veteran of the Monroe Police Department. He will replace outgoing Monroe Police Chief Dr. Quentin Holmes, who recently announced his retirement, effective July 31, 2017.
Major Ellis is a 31 year veteran of the department. He began his career in Monroe as a patrolman and held positions in narcotics, intelligence, administration and internal affairs.
A new police chief will be hired in the next four to six months using the following plan:
- Mayor Mayo will make an official request to the local Civil Service Board to place on their next meeting agenda (August 15) a measure to approve the call for a Chief’s Exam.
- A new exam will be created.
- A date will be set for the exam to be administered, and public notice will be made.
- Once the exam scores are reviewed – a list of qualified candidates will be selected for interviews.
- Mayor Mayo will select a new Chief of Police.
- The new Chief of Police will go before the Monroe City Council for final confirmation.